Monday, February 25, 2013

A Chinese man attacked his wife with a meat cleaver in Manhattan’s Chinatown, leaving the woman in critical condition

Ming Guang Haung, 28, was arrested after he used a meat cleaver to hack and slash at his wife. The FDNY said that the woman was attacked with a meat cleaver outside 76 Canal Street. The firefighters witnessed the attack from the FDNY Engine Company 9 firehouse near the scene. “He pulls a cleaver out of his waistband and starts hacking at this woman. I rush him, I try to grab the cleaver, but he’s swinging six, eight, maybe ten times,” firefighter Jose Ortiz said. Ortiz, ran outside and grabbed the man, sending his weapon flying. “We finally get him down on the ground. The lady that was hurt, she bolts. (Fellow firefighter) Shane (Clark) follows her, because I told him, ‘You’ve got to follow the lady, because she’s hurt,’” Ortiz said. Firefighter Shane Clarke chased the woman to a restaurant nearby on East Broadway. “I ran up to the commotion, and I could see that she was bleeding heavily all over her body, and so I ran back, I grabbed a trauma bag, and at that point, she was sprinting down the block,” Clarke said. “I think she was panicked, more than anything else.” The 23-year-old woman was taken to Bellevue Hospital. She was initially reported in critical, but stable condition, and later in serious condition, with lacerations to her face, back and hip. The other firefighters flagged down a passing police squad car, and officers arrested the 28-year-old husband.

No comments: