Tuesday, November 25, 2008
A rights group has accused the government of the DR Congo of using violence to eliminate political opponents since polls in 2006
Human Rights Watch (HRW) said that Congolese security forces had deliberately killed more than 500 people in a campaign against opposition groups. HRW said the abuses were attracting scant attention because everyone was focusing on the conflict in the east. More than 250,000 people have fled their homes since fighting erupted in August 2008 between government troops and rebels loyal to Tutsi General Laurent Nkunda. In its report, Human Rights Watch (HRW) accused President Joseph Kabila's government of "brutal repression" following elections in July 2006 aimed at bringing democracy to the country after years of fighting. Five hundred perceived opponents had been killed since then and another 1,000 had been detained - many of whom reported being tortured, it said.