Thursday, August 11, 2011

A black woman will stay in jail after deputies say that she attacked another woman while helping her load groceries into her car

Whitney Deandra Wilson, 21, has been charged with robbery and assault in connection with the attack, which Sheriff James Metts said happened at the Food Lion on St. Andrews Road. A judge denied Wilson's bond. Metts said that Linda Sarvis Canady, 64, of Columbia, was bagging her groceries to take them to her car when Wilson offered to help load the groceries into Canady's car. Canady said that she was grateful when Wilson came over to help, because she's disabled and has difficulty reaching some items. "I thought that girl fell right out of heaven," said Canady. "I needed help this afternoon." But what happened next caught Candy by surprise. When she got in the driver's seat and started the car to provide air conditioning, Metts said that Wilson hit Canady in the forehead with a can she had taken from the grocery bags. "It was so fast, I'm telling you," said Canady. "Right in the middle of my head. My body was saturated with blood." Metts said that Wilson ran toward Landmark Apartments with Canady's wallet. "I ran after her with my car," said Canady. "I was gonna catch her and tell her what she did. I just wanted to stop her." Investigators were able to take still pictures from the surveillance video and show them to area businesses and identify Wilson. Metts said that Wilson gave investigators a statement about the incident after her arrest. Now with 19 stitches on her forehead and two black eyes, Canady says that the incident was a wake-up call. Next time she won't be so trusting with strangers who put up a nice front. "I want somebody to ask her why did she want to hurt me," she said. "I still don't know it."

No comments: